Since everyone is using November to share what they are most thankful for, I’ve decided to share mine (with a business spin). Let me know what yours are too!
1) Books: Without them, my life would be a lot more dull (reading for fun) and my income would be a lot lower (editing/promoting them)!
2) My Virtual Colleagues: Some of the people I’m closest to I see only once a year or less. Yet, I value their friendship and mentorship and I appreciate how they stave away the loneliness of working from home.
3) The Chicago Manual of Style: It answers almost all my questions of: “Do I edit this sentence this way or that way?”
4) My Kindle Fire: For why I love this toy, read my initial review.
5) My Bookkeeper: I can’t live without Candy and Lanel of Offassist. I’ve tried. They’ll be my bookkeepers until I close the doors on my business.
6) Systems: From my proposal template to my work agreement to my editing process, the systems I’ve developed for my business help keep me organized and save me lots of time. I’ve developed them for clients too and they’ve loved them!
7) Conferences: There’s just no substitute for getting out of the four walls of your home office, being around like-minded colleagues and learning new tools to grow your business in whichever way you want. My favorite this year was definitely Accelerate Live. Next year’s is on a cruise ship. I can’t wait.
8) My Clients: I’ve had some great new clients lately—ones I can partner with and help on an ongoing basis. That’s the direction I want to move my business in—more ongoing, consistent work with some clients who are a great mutual fit. Without valued clients, there is just no need for me to be in business.
9) My iPhone: I feel like an “old timer” but I can remember the days when unless I had a laptop or was somewhere with a computer, if I wasn’t sitting at my desk in my home office, I couldn’t check, respond, or send emails. I felt tied to my office. Now, whether I’m in an airport, at the community pool, or waiting at a doctor’s office, I can stay in touch via email, phone, and social media.
So what business items are YOU thankful for?